- Who is eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants must be pursuing a bachelors or masters degree.
Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Applicants must be enrolled full-time each semester.
Applicants must be planning to attend the University of Akron, California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo campus), Clemson University, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Massachusetts – Lowell, University of Michigan, North Carolina State, Purdue University, or Wayne State University.
Applicants must be planning to pursue, or be enrolled in, Mechanical Engineering or a Materials (Polymer) Science curriculum.
- University of Akron applicants MUST be majoring in Chemical Engineering with a Minor in Polymer Science.
- Umass Lowell applicants may also be enrolled in Plastics Engineering.
Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
Applicants must demonstrate traits of high personal character and leadership.
For those applicants wishing to be considered for the scholarship designated for those from a socially disadvantaged background, applicants will be required to submit their personal statement on the socially disadvantaged circumstances they have endured and how those circumstances made them who they are and how they will use those life lessons to achieve their goals in college.
What is the application process?
There are three parts to the application process.
1. You must set up an account.
2. After setting up an account, you must login to your account and complete the online application. Once you have completed the online application, you will get an email back confirming that the online portion of your application was received along with a reminder to complete step 3.
3. You must mail in the additional required materials as explained below.
If you need assistance, please email:
When is the deadline for submission of materials?
The deadline for submission of the online portion of the application is . Deadline for receipt of the additional required materials is 5:00 PM EST.. The additional materials required must be mailed in ONE envelope to the , PO BOX 1465, Taylors, SC 29687. The additional materials required must be RECEIVED no later than 5:00 pm est. .
- What constitutes a complete application packet?
You must submit the following additional materials:
• STUDENT AUTHORIZATION AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS FORM, found in the online application, signed by the scholarship candidate. Download the Student Authorization and Acknowledgements Form.
• Submit an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT with grades and cumulative GPA posted through the   semester. (It must be OFFICIAL)
• PERSONAL STATEMENT. Submit a one-page signed personal statement: topic focused on the benefits of either (i) cultural diversity in the educational setting or (ii) community service.
• PERSONAL STATEMENT. If you wish to be considered for the Socially disadvantaged scholarship: then submit a one-page signed personal statement on the socially disadvantaged circumstances you have had to endure and how those circumstances have made you who you are today and how you will use those life lessons to achieve your goals in college.
Under United States federal law, 'socially disadvantaged individuals are those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias within American society because of their identification as members of groups without regard to their individual qualities.'
• SIGNED LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS, MEMBERSHIPS, LEADERSHIP ROLES, COMMUNITY SERVICE.
• Submit a copy of your SAR Report. (This is the report you receive after your FAFSA application has been processed)
- What is the value of the scholarship award?
There will be two (2) scholarships per school in the amount $7,500 each. Each scholarship is awarded for one academic year and will be paid in two equal semester installments (with verification of full-time enrollment). The awards will be applied to the cost of tuition, lab fees, books and supplies. Scholarship awards must be used in the year they are awarded.
- What college may I attend?
The applicant must be planning to attend one of the following: University of Akron, California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo campus), Clemson University, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Massachusetts – Lowell, University of Michigan, North Carolina State, Purdue University, or Wayne State University.
What if I am unable to attend consecutive semesters?
Extenuating circumstances requiring a student to sit out a semester must be explained in writing to CSA. You will be notified of the final decision.
What is the selection process?
Scholarship Selection Committee considers respective ability, educational goals and career ambitions.
How will I be notified if I am chosen as a recipient?
All complete applicants will be notified by email of the decisions of the committee.
Is this scholarship renewable?
The scholarship is non-renewable; however, current recipients may reapply and be considered for additional funding along with other new applicants. Preference will be given to those applicants who have previously been awarded the scholarship. CSA will contact the current students to determine their desire to reapply.